Best Overall Image Quality
The ALEXA sensor provides high dynamic range images through an unequalled exposure latitude with special consideration given to highlight treatment. Creating a good looking roll-off in the highlights is probably one of the most difficult tasks for any sensor designer and we have spent enormous resources at insuring exceptional highlight handling. ALEXA’s wide exposure latitude translates into a ‘thick’ digital negative; there is more detail information in the highlights and in the dark areas than any of the current display technologies can disclose. This means tremendous flexibility when color grading and makes ALEXA images future-proof for high dynamic range (HDR) display technologies.
Efficient and Versatile Workflows
ALEXA represents the most efficient and versatile method to capture and then transport images, audio and metadata through the production process. This is achieved with a multitude of in-camera recording options, support for the native codecs of the most popular non-linear editors, complete rich metadata, integrated color management and a pre-recording option.
Simple and Safe Operation
The ALEXA user interface has been specifically developed to be easy to learn and quick to operate. The same interface is used on all ALEXAs, so there is no learning curve when using another model ALEXA. The hardware of the camera is designed for the best and most ergonomic use on the set, including the built-in shoulder cut-out, large number of accessories like the Low Mode Support LMS-3, the Remote Control Unit RCU-4 or the Wireless Compact Unit WCU-4. Three auto-switching power inputs (one BAT cabled power in and two optional battery adapters, one on top and one at the back) allow hot-swapping of one battery and will intelligently manage the power from those batteries.
Open, future-proof architecture
The ALEXA system is based on an open architecture, with many industry-standard interfaces and compatibility with third party products. This provides more choice to the filmmaker and ensures that best-of-class components can be used. To protect customers’ investment in ALEXA, a plethora of affordable hardware and software upgrades have been promised and delivered, continually expanding the feature set.
ALEXA Electronic Viewfinder EVF-1
This viewfinder was specifically designed to meet the needs of professional camera operators by offering an extremely low latency image display, high image quality, accurate color reproduction and a number of features inherited from our optical viewfinders, including a peripheral viewing area we call ‘Surround View’.
It is critical to the camera operator that the action in the viewfinder can be seen at almost at the same time as the action in front of the camera. The extremely fast image display of the EVF-1 has been made possible through the creation of a proprietary high speed connection between the viewfinder and the camera, as well as a shared image processing architecture that maximizes the processing power of both camera and viewfinder.
The ALEXA EVF-1 is unique and uniquely suited for work on the set with its image delay of under one frame.
A stable, accurate and high quality image is important for the camera operator. The EVF-1 image exhibits high resolution, high contrast, low distortion and an evenly illuminated viewing area. All this has been made possible through a state-of-the-art F-LCOS (Ferroelectric Liquid Crystal On Silicon) micro display with 1280 x 768 pixel resolution, a high screen refresh rate and an ARRI optical design that employs the highest quality coated glass elements. Reliable contrast and color reproduction at all temperatures are assured through careful thermal stabilization of both the F-LCOS display and the ARRI custom LED light engine.
• Camera Type – 35 format film-style digital camera with an electronic viewfinder, a 16:9 active sensor area, integrated shoulder arch and receptacles for 15 mm lightweight rods
• Sensor 35 format ALEV III CMOS sensor with Bayer pattern color filter array.
• Operating Modes – Regular or High Speed mode. Switching takes approx. 20 seconds.
Frame Rates – 0.75 – 120 fps
All speeds adjustable with 1/1000 fps precision. To record above 60 fps, the camera needs to be switched to high speed mode. Some limitations based on recording media or recording format apply.
Note: some limitations based on recording media or recording file settings apply.
• Electronic rolling shutter, 5.0º – 358.0º up to 60 fps; 5.0° to 356° above 60 fps. Shutter angle adjustable with 1/10 degree precision.
• Filters- Permanent filters in front of the sensor: optical low pass, UV, IR.
• Exposure Latitude 14+ stops for all sensitivity settings from EI 160 to EI 3200, as measured with the ARRI Dynamic Range Test Chart (DRTC).
• White Balance – Presets for 3200 (tungsten), 4300 (fluorescent), 5600 (daylight) and 7000 (daylight cool). Automatic calculation or manual white balance for 2000 to 11000 Kelvin, adjustable in 100 K steps.
• Color Correction – While white balance changes the red/blue hue of the image, color correction changes green/magenta. Adjustable range from -12 to +12 CC. 1 CC corresponds to 035 Kodak CC values or 1/8 Rosco values.
• Sound Level Under 20 db(A) while recording ProRes 4444 16:9 HD @ 24 fps and ≤ +30° Celsius (≤ +86° Fahrenheit) with lens attached and fan mode set to ‘Regular’, measured 1 m/3 feet in front of the lens. Silent operation at higher temperatures possible with fan mode set to ‘Rec low’.
• Power In – Three possible inputs: BAT connector, optional battery adapter back or optional battery adapter top. All inputs accept 10.5 to 34 V DC. Approx. 85 W power draw for camera and EVF-1 in typical use recording ProRes at 24 fps to an SxS PRO card at room temperature, without accessories. Initial power draw during power up is higher.
• Power Out – 12 V connector: limited to 12 V, up to 2.2 A. RS, EXT and ETHERNET: input below 24 V is regulated up to 24 V; above 24 V: input voltage = output voltage. RS and EXT connectors combined are limited to 2.2 A. ETHERNET is limited to 1.2 A. Maximum power draw is also limited by the power source.
• Weight – ALEXA body with PL mount: 6.3 Kg/13.9 lbs.
ALEXA body with PL mount, electronic viewfinder, viewfinder cable and handle: 7.7 Kg/16.9 lbs.
Dimensions ALEXA Classic EV body with PL mount: Length: 332 mm/12.95”, width: 153 mm/6.02”, height: 158 mm/6.22” ;
• Environmental – -20° C to +45° C (-4° F to +113° F) @ 95% humidity max, non-condensing. Splash and dust proof through sealed electronics. System cooling through radiator/single fan.
• Lens Mount – 54 mm stainless steel PL mount, Super 35 centered. 52.00 mm nominal flange focal depth.
• Viewfinder – Low latency (≤1 frame delay) electronic color viewfinder ARRI EVF-1 with 1280 x 784 F-LCOS micro display (image: 1280 x 720, status bars: 1280 x 32 above and 1280 x 32 below image) and ARRI LED illumination, both temperature controlled. Image can be flipped for use of viewfinder on camera left or right. Viewfinder Mounting Bracket allows movement of viewfinder forward/backwards, left/right, up/down, 360 degree rotation and placement on camera left or right. EVF-1 controls: viewfinder and basic camera settings, ZOOM button (2.25x magnification ‘pixel to pixel’), EXP button (false color exposure check) and jog wheel.
• Assistive Displays – For EVF-1 and MON OUT: preset and custom frame lines, user rectangles, surround view, 180º image rotation, camera status, false color exposure check, peaking focus check, compare stored image with live image, RETURN IN video and optional anamorphic de-squeeze (license key required). For MON OUT additionally: Reel & clip number.
In-camera Recording QuickTime/ProRes or MXF/DNxHD recording onto one or two (Dual Recording) SxS PRO or SxS PRO+ cards. All formats include embedded audio, timecode and metadata.
• Supported Media
SxS PRO 64 GB (SBP-64A)
SxS PRO+ 64 GB (SBP-64B & SBP-64C)
SxS PRO+ 128 GB (SBP-128B & SBP-128C)
• Recording Outputs 2x 1.5G or 3G REC OUT BNC connectors for ARRIRAW T-Link or HD-SDI video. Both with embedded audio, timecode, metadata and recording flag.
ARRIRAW: 2880 x 1620 (16:9), uncompressed, unencrypted 12 bit log without white balance or exposure index processing applied. Requires an ARRIRAW T-Link certified recorder.
HD-SDI video: uncompressed 1920 x 1080 (16:9) 4:4:4 RGB or 4:2:2 YCbCr at 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, or 60 fps. Recording other speeds requires a recorder with Variflag support. Legal or extended range signal mapping.
• Monitor Output – 1x MON OUT BNC connector for uncompressed 1.5 G HD-SDI video: 1920 x 1080 (16:9), 4:2:2 YCbCr; legal range HD video at 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, or 30 fps. Embedded audio, time code, metadata and recording flag.
• Image Processing – 16 bit linear internal image processing in full ALEXA Wide Gamut/Log C color space. Target output color spaces for ProRes, DNxHD, REC OUT and MON OUT: Log C or Rec 709. For Rec 709, a customized look can be applied during record and playback with ARRI Look Files. Optional horizontal image mirroring.
• Synchronization – Master/Slave mode for precision sync of settings, sensor, processing, HD-SDI outputs and in-camera QuickTime/ProRes or MXF/DNxHD recording for 3D applications. PHASE user button for shifting camera phase to move phase artifacts out of frame, i.e. when shooting a CRT monitor or rear screen projector (works in Rec Run TC mode).
• Playback – Playback of ProRes or DNxHD from SxS PRO or SxS PRO+ cards visible on EVF-1, MON OUT and REC OUT. Playback audio available over headphone jack and embedded in the MON OUT and REC OUT signal.
• Audio – 1x XLR 5 pin AUDIO IN for 2 channel, line level, balanced audio. 24 bit/48 kHz A/D conversion. Uncompressed PCM audio recording to ARRIRAW, ProRes, DNxHD and embedded in all HD-SDI outputs. Only available with same project/sensor speed at 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps. Max of 2.5 dBm output from AUDIO OUT headphones connector.
• Connectors – 2x slots for SxS PRO cards (SxS)
2x BNC recording out HD-SDI, 1.5G/3G (REC OUT 1 and REC OUT 2)
1x BNC monitoring out HD-SDI, 1.5G (MON OUT)
1x XLR 5-pin analog audio in (AUDIO IN)
1x BNC return video in HD-SDI, 1.5G (RET/SYNC IN)
1x LEMO 16-pin external accessory interface (EXT)
1x Fischer 2-pin 24 V power in (BAT)
2x Fischer 3-pin 24 V remote start and accessory power out (RS)
1x LEMO 2-pin 12 V accessory power out (12 V)
1x LEMO 5-pin timecode in/out (TC)
1x TRS 3.5 mm headphone mini stereo jack (AUDIO OUT)
1x custom LEMO 16-pin electronic viewfinder (EVF)
1x custom LEMO 10-pin Ethernet with 24 V power (ETHERNET)
• SD Card – For importing and storing ARRI Look Files, camera set up files, frame line files, feature license keys and user pixel masks. Stores frame grabs from the REC OUT image path in ARRIRAW (.ari, 12 bit), TIFF (.tif, 16 bit), DPX (.dpx, 10 bit) or JPEG (.jpg, 8 bit) format (1). Stores log files. Also used for installing Software Update Packets (SUPs).